Planning Permission - Jeffery and Wilkes

// Design, Plan and Succeed

Planning Permission

In some cases for significant changes to a building or for new builds, you will require planning permission. An application would need to be sent to your local authority and you need permission before you start the project.


book your free consultation

Learn more about what we can do specifically for you by booking a FREE consultation with one of our experts.

Book Now

Circumstances Where You May Need Planning Permission for Your Loft Conversion

  • If you want to extend higher than the highest part of the current roof
  • If your proposed additional roof space exceeds 40 cubic meters for terrace houses or 50 cubic meters for detached or semi-detached houses
  • (You will also need to ascertain if the roof has been extended in the past. This will then have to be factored into the allowance.)
  • If you want a walk on balcony or veranda
  • If the materials or style does not match the existing
  • If the roof enlargement was to overhang the outer wall of the “original house”*.
  • If you want a dormer to the front roof slope
  • If you are living in a conservation area

Circumstances Where You May Need Planning Permission For Your Home Extension

  • If more than half the area of land surrounding the “original house”* is covered by buildings/ additions
  • If the extension will be forward of the principle elevation fronting a highway
  • If the maximum height exceeds four meters
  • If it extends beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three meters if it’s an attached house or more than four meters if it’s a detached house
  • If the materials or style does not match the existing
  • If a side extension is more than one storey and/or is more than half the width of the “original house”
  • If you are living in a conservation area and it exceeds the limitations mentioned in our blog post which further discusses planning permission.

When Planning Permission is a MUST

  • If you are living in a flat, maisonette, ‘other building’ or a house which has an applicable article 4 direction, you will require planning permission to carry out works which would otherwise fall under PD as these types of properties are stripped of their PD rights. Check out our blog post which discusses flats and maisonettes for more details

*”Original house” meaning the house as it was originally built or as it stood on 1st July 1948 (if built before then).

Take Our FREE Home Improvement Quiz

  • Increase your property value up to a whopping 40%
  • Find out the home improvements you can make to your property
  • New innovative ideas for your home you may not even realise exist

Jeffery and Wilkes is an accredited design and build company encompassing a full design to completion service, inspiring and supporting clients to create exciting spaces and safe environments to live, work and play.


micro-giving impacts created

Our greatest wish is to make a tangible, positive difference - not only with the environments we create for our clients, but also for the wider community.

To this end, we’ve partnered with B1G1 Business For Good. For every build we complete, we make a donation to a community project – transforming the lives of our clients and the lives of various communities that need our help.